The other reason I say fall is in the air is because it's time for the kids to get back on the school/extracurricular activities bandwagon (and Mom and Dad, too). Jonas is playing soccer again, Jonas and Ethan have gone back to karate, piano is starting up, and Elise is going to do a Children's Community Theater this year--I think she'll like it. They're doing a "Pirates of the Caribbean meets the Little Mermaid" play. She has her first class tonight. She's also participating in the Monte Vista school choir and has to go to school 1 hour early on Tues and Thurs, which shows how much my girl who loves to sleep in wanted to do it. This morning, after dragging her out of bed and watching her droopy, grumpy face stare back at me in the mirror while I was doing her hair, she demanded to know why, exactly, they start school so early? "It doesn't make any sense!" she said. When I told her that junior high and high school were even earlier, she groaned and said, "Well that's not good news." I agree, sister.
Ethan also just graduated from Cub Scouts and got his Arrow of Light. Here's photographic proof:
The first shot is of Ethan and obviously me--with a loverly spit-up stain on my chestal region--holding the really cool plaque a nice woman in the ward makes for all the boys who receive their Arrow of Light. (For those of you without Scouts, it's an award you can work toward once you graduate from Cubs and move on to Boy Scouts.) The second shot is of Ethan walking across the "bridge" from Cub to Boy Scouts--a highly symbolic and emotionally weighty moment that, as you can tell from Ethan's stance, he wasn't taking quite as seriously as his mother and the Scout Master would have liked. But what are you going to do? I suppose the line between stand-up and somber symbolic moments can get fuzzy at times?? We discussed it and hopefully it is now clearer :-). I was still proud of him for getting the award. He worked hard in Cubs and did a lot of cool things. And now he's an official Boy Scout, and next year he'll be in the Young Men's program with his Dad, now that Forrest is the secretary. Hard to believe.
To conclude, I should probably say something about Jonas, since I've touched on Ethan and Elise (and I touch on Wyatt all the time--who by the way is having a rapturous love affair with remotes, shoes, and keys). He's doing great in 1st grade and his reading is really taking off. He's reading stuff all the time now. He had his first soccer practice on Sat. and did great. The more he plays, the more aggressive he gets about going after the ball -- but he still hates it when other kids take it away. I think he's spent too many years being the youngest and having a Mom who tells the older kids "just give him what he wants!" or "Maybe let him win!" in order to keep the peace. Bad parenting, yes. But I don't do it all the time. Just when I want some peace.
So that's it for now. As of yesterday, I have collected $1,779 dollars for our upcoming Super Saturday. Even though it's in check form, it's making me very nervous and I can't wait to hand it off to the woman who's buying all the supplies. Now that's really it for now.
7 comments:
I love reading your posts...it makes me feel like I really know your family and what is happening in your lives, right down to the slobber marks on your shirt! :)
I have 3 Comments to add in my 1 comment:
#1: That's so cool that Elise is singing. She's so gifted at it and will enjoy it all through school so I'm glad she's starting in. I also wholeheartedly agree with Elise's observation about school being too early. If someone ran for office on the platform of making life start at 9:00, doing away with daylight savings time, and, um, I can't remember my other thing but I will sometime, anyway, I'd vote for them. Even Hillary....? well, maybe that's a stretch.
#2. I AM SO PROUD OF ETHAN FOR GETTING HIS ARROW OF LIGHT!! And send my internet vibes of love to the woman who made the momentous sign for Ethan! The picture of Ethan crossing the bridge, with accompanying comments are priceless. I am now being completely serious when I say one of my chief regrets is that I didn't take Scouting more seriously. It's a wonderful program and if you have good leaders and decent parents (or at least a mother who doesn't dog out because it's too hard and a father who isn't interested in anything that doesn't involve a ball:)
#3. $1,779 - you are KIDDING!! I'm dumbfounded.
XO
Mom
Delise, it's been so fun to read yours too. It's been too long without enough catching up! Blogs are so good for that. And Mom, I agree, I agree, and I agree. And yes, that is an extraordinary amount of money, especially considering we only had one item that was $30 and the rest are under $20. And it was so fun to go look for quilt stuff at lunch w/ you!
That picture of Ethan crossing the bridge is hilarious! It can be hard for me to take some symbolic things seriously too.
Amy and I will be the moms in the back laughing WITH our goofy children who are mocking the symbolic rites of scouting. :)
But, seriously, congrats to Ethan. And you'll have to tape Elise and Jonas in the respective activities so we can get a little glimpse into elementary school choir and Jonas' increasingly aggressive soccer play.
I'm not sure what this means on a subliminal level but the name of our non responsive HVAC provider is Neil's.
Forrest
Good words.
Post a Comment