So Ethan's headed there, in just a couple of weeks. He got his schedule yesterday. Band (beginning brass), honors English, pre-algebra, Utah Studies (remember Utah Studies? It seemed so important to me at the time, like my patriotic Utahn duty, and my spell checker just underlined Utahn which, as one, I KNOW is spelled correctly), gym, science, the whole shebang. He's excited. Called all his friends to see if they had any classes together (and some of them do, sigh of relief) and already has his locker combination memorized.
Here's what I remember about junior high. First, my dad took me to my junior high orientation for some reason. I wasn't alone with my dad very often, so roaming around the echoing halls of West Lake Junior High with my DAD made me feel incredibly grown-up and poised on the precipice of something monumental and scary and exciting. I also remember my friend Karen, one year older than me, telling me how important it was to 1. never, under ANY circumstances, pick up anything you drop on the ground, lest someone call you a scrounge and, 2. ALWAYS give upperclassmen the right of way in the halls. Not a good idea to mess with eighth graders.
In seventh grade I had a really cool English teacher named Ms. Shea who had long black hair past her butt and was a belly dancer on the weekends. We read Ishi, the Last of His Tribe and played word games like Boggle on Fridays. I had another really cool choir teacher, Miss Straussberg, who asked a terrified me to accompany the 7th Grade choir when we sang "Saturday's Warrior" for our concert. (Only in Utah. In the mid-80s. Never in a million years could a public school get away with singing that song now.) I remember practicing and practicing that song, pounding away--those opening chords are etched into my reptilian brain.
I ran for (and won, somehow--I wasn't particularly popular that year) the position of 7th Grade Class Secretary. Don't remember what that office entailed, just that I got my picture in the front of the yearbook. I was just on the cusp of puberty and hadn't quite figured out yet how to do my hair right, or wear mascara, and in my individual yearbook picture I have a smudge of Covergirl Greatlash under my right eye and my eighties bangs are curled but not sufficiently ratted or sprayed. I wore a purple sweater vest, I think.
I was afraid I smelled after gym. I was afraid I would forget my homework. I was afraid I'd make my elementary school friends mad if I didn't hang out with them, even if I was SO intrigued by the seemingly-coooler, more mature and worldy-wise friends from the more easterly region of West Valley City that I met in my classes. I still remember one girl named Jennifer who was so cool and smart and I wanted to be JUST LIKE HER. I even went so far as to buy a pair of Jordache jeans almost exactly like hers (but not quite exactly--didn't want her to think I was creepy or anything.) My first girl-emulation crush.
I tried out for the Junior High production of Annie and was crushed--CRUSHED, I tell you--to be relegated to the chorus. No speaking lines to, well, speak of. In the sixth grade, I'd played Nellie, Annie's little sister in Annie Get Your Gun at Cyprus HIGH SCHOOL, no less, and I figured with my wealth of experience, and obvious facility with the plaintive tune "Maybe" (" . . . their one mistake, was giving up meeeeeee . . ." oh, the pathos) that I'd be assured at least one of the sidekick orphan roles. But nope. No dice. Heartbreaking. I sighed and calumphed my way through the Annie experience as a member of the chorus, though, and in the end it was fun.
Seventh grade is a big dang deal. I think Ethan is ready, and I think he'll do great, but it's such a transition in a person's life. I'm looking forward to it for him (and keeping my fingers crossed!). What do YOU remember about 7th grade??
9 comments:
hey! this is Jessica Ranquist. I just wanted to let you know that I started a blog about Drake and his mission...with some extra family info! If you want to check it out, it's elderranquist.blogspot.com
please leave comments!!! I'm going to show my parents on my dad's birthday next week (Aug 20th) and think it would be cool to have some! thanks!!!
p.s. i'm trying to find people's blogs, but please spread the word!
Ohhh...7th grade. Should I pull out my journal? No, too scary. In all honesty, it was my least favorite year of all, but it wasn't really that bad. I made a lot of friends who ended up going to Cyprus for high school, but I still keep in contact with them.
I remember the shock of being with rebellious teenagers. There was a girl in my science class that was pregnant (at 13!) that took me by surprise. I also remember my friends going through a "swearing stage" to "fit in" and thinking that was pretty lame.
It was in jr. high that I officially made the switch from dancing to sports. All my friends were on the dance company, but you couldn't do that and basketball and I chose basketball. It's also when I started to love band. Speaking of, what instrument is Ethan playing? I remember my first solo, still etched in my brain, and kinda feeling guilty that I beat out the 9th graders and got it.
Anyway, I could ramble on for awhile about 7th grade. I think Ethan will do great! Just remember, every year after this only gets better!
In 1938 I was in 7th grade and one of the BMOCs, since back then it was grades 1-7; 8th grade jr. high, and 9-12 for high school.
I was totally in love with the most beautiful girl in the whole school -- Barbara Ayers. Also scared to death of her. "Ah yes, I remember it well."
Re your relegated to the chorus experience with Annie: Time to re-read Carol Lynne Pearson's "The Cast."
RGH
It was good to hear from you and catch up on your blog. This is so fun to keep in touch with everyone. I can't believe you have a child in 7th grade! I'm so glad I don't have to go back to that!
Oh, boy. I'm kinda scared for you, Ethan, but am sure you'll do fine.
Making that move to Junior High was so scary for me! I had such great friends and was very comfortable in my cute little elementary school. I was afraid I'd get lost in the crowd at junior high.
The transition was much easier than I feared. It was nice to have lots of familiar faces around and still get to meet lots of new people, too, which I didn't think was possible in our small town.
I remember absolutely LOVING my industrial arts class. I was such a tom-boy. I especially loved wood working and was pretty good at it. I was terrified of the showers at gym. I felt SOOO grown up to have a locker. I liked the break between classes. It seemed to make the day go by faster.
BTW, Ang, I remember from Andrew's Utah post that someone said it's actually spelled Utahan not Utahn, and my spell-check says that first one is acceptable. Huh.
What a GREAT post Ang! I'm so excited for Ethan - I think he will love 7th grade - he's such a happy kid at this stage of his life. And hey Jessica - thanks for starting a blog about Drake - I'm hopping over there right now when I get done posting this comment.
Ang - 3 of my recollections about 7th grade: #1 - I was the tiniest person at La Grande Jr. High and all the 9th-grade girls would pat me on the head and show me to their friends and say "isn't she cute?" - which taught me to never do that to short people. #2 - My homeroom teacher was Mr. Daikh from Persie or somewhere exotic and he'd been in a bad car accident the summer before school started and still had his arm bandaged - he would peel off the bandage and scrutinize his wounds while we were doing our reading assignment - I don't remember a thing I read but I do remember that - #3- attending my first "noon dance" and the song "Pretty Woman" was playing and seeing 9th-graders dancing together - whoa - playing the oboe in band and thinking I'd died and gone to heaven - I loved being part of a band or orchestra or choir for the rest of my secondary education and hope Ethan loves it too. Love you!
Mom Sweat
Grade 7 (as it's called in The Great White North) was an exciting and yet terror filled time for me. I was lucky enough to be able to go into a 9th grade science class to help make posters (for some reason the paper was stored there) and my jeans got caught on the cutting mechanism and rrrripped a big tear up my left butt cheek. A really cute boy was in that class too. So embarrassing.
I also got caught writing a note to a friend about how boring a class was and how high maintenance the teacher was. The note was posted for all to view on the classroom door, in the busiest hallway for a week. HARSH!
I attended my first school dance (Tina Turner still rocked during daylight hours) and my first kiss (at the Christmas dance under mistletoe.
It freaks me out to have a daughter on the precipice of having similar experiences. Perhaps we need a worrying parents support group because I'm sure the kids will do just fine.
I spent 7th grade at Farrer Jr. High in Provo while dad was going to graduate school. I enjoyed myself a lot, as I remember. Made a new crop of friends, who seemed so very sophisticated next to those hick La Grande-ites :) Also got to take Utah Studies, just like the locals. I remember learning all the names of the counties and thinking "Juab" should be pronounced "Wob" (you know, like "Juan"). I had a romance with 8th-grader Rex Farrer and thought it was so cool that his name was the same as the school's.
If I had the opportunity to do it all over again, I wouldn't. On a happier note, it was in junior high that I learned that I love to run, was a natural at math, and am no good at basketball. Good luck, Ethan.
Post a Comment