Saturday, October 04, 2008

Rainy Days and Saturdays

Conference weekend is one of the things I like best about being a Utahn once again (and yes, for those of you who wondered last time I mentioned that my spell-checker underlined it, Utahn IS the right way to spell it :-)). So nice not to have to rush around, to be able to sit on the couch in my sweats in the middle of a regular Saturday, to sleep in a little more on Sunday and STAY in my sweats one more day. Such an easy, slow weekend. Love it.

Today is rainy, which makes me feel even cozier. Poor Joe (and poor Joe's dad) had to go to a soccer game--so I guess there was a little running around--and they came home wet-headed and chilly. But Jonas's team TIED, and given their track record so far, that's reason to celebrate. Joe played goalie the whole time. He has this strange compulsion to play goalie and I think it's so he can jangle my nerves. Or maybe because he doesn't like running :-). But he's getting to be a pretty good little goalie. Forrest said he made some really good stops today.

Hmmm, what else. Wyatt has been on a rampage. He's at that age where he likes to stomp and yell, grab you by the arm and drag you around the house, demand CHIPS PLEASEE!!!! JUICE PLEASSEE!!! It's hard to be charmed by the "please" when he's screaming it, though. But gotta love him just the same. He's talking a lot. He loves his books. He goes down for his nap and to sleep at night with at least two books to "read" by himself in the semi-darkness (just like the rest of the family.) We have to go through his whole stack of books some nights with Wyatt emphatically shaking his head "no" to book after book until we find the one he wants. He's a smart, self-possessed, opinionated little dude who gives enthusiastic hugs and kisses. (Sometimes his kisses are a little TOO enthusiastic. Closed mouth, buddy!)

Last thing. Elise has been trying to find a Halloween costume with her friend Tayler. Last year they were "twin" pirates, and they want to be twins again, so they've been looking online. The following is an example of the Halloween costumes marketed to little girls:



I keep having to tell her, "too immodest," "nope, too skimpy." Luckily, she's not fighting me on it. (I even heard her on the phone say, "I don't want to wear one that might show my stomach. That makes me uncomfortable." Go Lou!). But seriously, my daughter is 10 and these are the costumes she's supposed to be wearing? This world!!

Now I'd better go be productive. Forrest is walking around with a bottle of Windex in his hand--pleasantly, I might add, without any judgmental stomping or self-righteous sighing--but that can make a wife feel, we'll, shirky. Better unshirk.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Love conference weekend, glad I have boys to shop for and nothing sexier than a husband with Windex or a vacuum in his hand!

Anonymous said...

Ahh...I love conference weekend too. It's good that there's kids like Joe who want to be the goalie. I hated it doing it when I play soccer and so did the rest of the team, so we'd rotate turns and ended up with nobody who was good at it.

Good luck with the modest Halloween costume search. Just a few more years and it'll be prom dresses...

andrea said...

And YAY for high speed internet for us East coasters who can still enjoy lazy conference weekends. Except when Andrew gets a call half an hour before conference starts because they can't find the projector at the church to broadcast it and he has to run down there to get it. Could've been worse.

Good for Forrest on not being a grumpy cleaner. Unfortunately, I was the one stomping around the house while Andrew watched college football yesterday afternoon. It took a good half hour of stomping before he took the hint and started to help. I'm lame.

Is Elise too young to think dressing in 80's style is cool? I remember in 5th or 6th grade dressing up with two of my friends as punk rockers. It was a really fun, colorful costume. Glad she's not into those skanky things. What are the costume makers thinking???

The Oregonians said...

Whatever happened to cutting holes in an old sheet and going trick or treating as a ghost?

Forrest -- You're taking "My Big Fat Gree Wedding" much too seriously.

Anonymous said...

glad you love rainy days and conference saturdays too - I just love them - I stay in my sweats the entire sabbath, and on Saturday I clean baseboards and cold air returns while I listen - it's my ritual - it was a wonderful weekend for sure!
XO
Mama

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...