Friday, May 22, 2009

It's interesting to note . . .

That I get people all over the world visiting my blog almost every day because of this post from late 2007 on crazy song lyrics. It seems lots of folks are curious to know the words to "A Ram Sam Sam." I also get a good bit of traffic for this post (apparently cosmetology is a hazardous profession, or people are worried it might be), as well as this one (which makes sense since I, too, googled the good Dr. Weissbluth's name during the wee hours of sleep deprivation).

I also realize that as the big sister of the Normal Mormon Husband, my comparative internet notoriety means I'm about as popular as Angelina Jolie at a barbecue hosted by Courtney Cox-Arquette. (And how is little Coco Arquette doing, I wonder?)

And speaking of celebrity babies, did any of you catch Suri Cruise being (lovingly?) squooshed by her mother during the AI finale?

(Note to Katie: Three year olds don't like really loud rock music, and screaming people, and cameras in their faces. I know you're probably just trying to do you best. I'm just saying.)

And speaking of the AI finale, I must admit that this season I couldn't muster a whole lot of enthusiasm for anybody. I did think Kris was cute as a bug's ear, what with all his humility and Christianity and his adorable blond wife. He was almost a Mormon! (Almost.) And every once in a looooooonng while, I found Adam fun to watch. But mostly I found him pretentious and screamy and inauthentic. The finale was fun, though. Although I could have done without the bikini girl interlude, what with impressionable children in the house, eyes glued to the screen . . .

And speaking of reality television, So You Think You Can Dance is back on!!! Hooray! Oh, how I love that show. I think of all the reality shows on TV, SYTYCD is my fave. Well, that and Project Runway, but Project Runway has been RUINED FOREVER BY THE EVIL HARVEY WEINSTEIN and Bravo's new replacement, "The Fashion Show," isn't nearly as good. I miss Heidi. I miss Tim Gunn. And I know that when they pop up in the fall on Lifetime (ick! uggh! who watches Lifetime?!?!?!?!) they will be tainted by Lifetime's cheesiness and all will be lost.

But I'll get over it. And at least I still have SYTYCD. Talented, flamboyant people who are really good at what they do competing against each other fairly. THAT's what I like. (Oh, and Top Chef has the same sensibility. Also a good television choice.)

And speaking of television, did any of you happen to watch the season premiere of Glee on Fox? I liked it quite a bit and hope it lives up to its promise next season. It's kind of a like a cross between Election (a movie with Reese Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick from years ago that's smart and funny and mean and also kind of naughty and rated R, so don't see it and hold it against me) and High School Musical (which I do not need to describe in a parenthetical aside). The crazily intense cheerleading coach on Glee was particularly good--I know I know her from other shows, just can't remember what. She seemed like an over-the-top version of the award winning dance/drill team coach from Cyprus (she who shall not be named, just in case she googles herself and finds my blog and comes to my house and beats me down . . . but Jenny, you know who I'm talking about :-). I remember this particular coach once posting the weights of all the girls in the drill team on the dance room door as an "incentive" for them to slim down. I was never in dance company or drill team, though, because 1. she scared the crap out of me, 2. they had to wake up waaaaaay too early in the morning and 3. I wasn't a very good dancer, which kinda makes 1 and 2 moot, wouldn't you say?

Which brings me back around to SYTYCD. No, I never thought I could dance. But I always wished I could. Maybe that's why I love the show . . .

That's enough stream-of-consciousness rambling for now. Have a great Memorial weekend everybody! (And yes, I probably watch too much television. Sue me. I fold the laundry while I'm watching, okay! And we have a lot of laundry!)

7 comments:

The Oregonians said...

Just think of all the Free Cell games you could have been playing.

Anonymous said...

I think the bikini incident was totally inappropriate but Douglas really enjoyed it. I had Stockton routing for Chris and Douglas routing for Adam. I have liked Adam all year but converted to Chris as soon as he sang Heartless. I loved it, and anyone who sings with Keith Urban gets my vote. That is just classy! Just random babbling, I wanted to get me AI 2 cents worth in!

Jenny said...

I hate it when I think I am me but I am really my son! He has been blogging away this weekend. He is not quite as profound and Ethan but a cute read none-the-less. His blog is Great Play on my blog list. Have a great holiday:)!

Mom said...

This post was a treat from beginning to end.
xo
Mom

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

So did you just compliment me or insult me? I'm too tired to try to figure it out.

Anyhoo, Andrea and I love SYTYCD too. We started watching it last year and I was shocked that I liked it so much. After all I'm so anti-dance that Sara Draper dumped me once because I refused to be her dance partner in an HHS production. But now I feel like I know enough about dance to critique the semi-pro dancers on the show. ("Umph, she just didn't connect with her partner and her lines were all wrong...") Good times.

Ang said...

Jenny, I loved reading that comment thinking it was your third-grade son. ;-). I'll have to check out his blog!

And surely when your weight was posted on the wall by she-who-shall-not-be-named, you had absolutely nothing to be worried about. I remember back in the day being jealous of your teeny tiny waist. (Isn't it fun being a girl? :-).

Drew, you mean you couldn't follow the celebrity logic? I was COMPLIMENTING you on your popularity--that compared to you, I'm a nobody! A nuthin! You kick my trash! Etc, etc. You are the king of all blogs.

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Thanks for clarifying that. I was afraid that you were saying that I was the Jordan Farmar to your Chauncey Billups for a second there. (Try following that one, sis!)

And we both know that you are the legit, credible, professional writer in the fam, Ang. Sure, I might get some nice traffic after I explore whether or not Edward has back acne or something dumb like that, but even Dramatic Chipmunk has over 14 million views so page views don't say it all.

I wonder if I could somehow pull off a post about Edward and the Dramatic Chipmunk together.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...