One of the things I like best about living in Utah is cousin access. Nothing makes me happier than seeing my kids enjoy their family, and I know they really love their cousins. Even Ethan was excited when he heard that Bella, Ayva, and Lilly would be joining us from Thursday to Sunday last week . . . and when a 13 year old boy is glad to see three female cousins age 6, 4, and 16 months, you know your family ties are pretty tight. Double-knotted, I'd say.
Mindy and Pete's girls were with us while their parents took a little trip to the land of trolley cars and Ghirardelli chocolate. (The last time I visited good ol' San Fransisco was when I was 23 years old, pregnant with Ethan, and Forrest and I and another newish high school teacher chaperoned the journalism kids from West Jordan High for a conference . . . and we missed our plane home. And it was spring break weekend. Oh, heavenly day, we had no idea what we were doing. A little shudder runs up my spine whenever I think of it. Sprinting through the airport, gaggles of trusting teenagers trailing behind me, gasping for breath, watching as the plane pulled away from the concourse, thinking, "Holy crap! I'm IN CHARGE of this mess." Ah, adulthood.)
Anyway, I digress. While the girls were here things were pretty busy--they were good girls, to be sure, but nine people in the house is nine people in the house--and I'd planned to take some pictures. Alas, I only took one. It'll have to do:

It was fun to have the cousins here and to inject a little girliness into our otherwise male-dominated environment. And I'm glad Mindy and Pete were able to take off and have some time alone. Oh, time alone. I love time alone.
But to amp up the level of cousinliness, Amy and Dave came to town and brought their two offspring along (since one of them is three and the other is one, they have this habit of tagging along with their parents.) We had a fun Sunday dinner with them and Tony & Cindy and then today while the big kids were in school we went to the zoo. Love the zoo! Especially on a beautiful day like today. So--pictures:

Touching the "water ball." A must at Hogle Zoo. (I like how this photo captures his reflection. Double cuteness.)

It was a day for babies at the zoo: baby giraffes, baby tiger cubs, baby meerkats. But the baby to beat all babies was the newborn elephant. Oh, what a cute, cute animal. She galloped around the enclosure, played with the big red balls, and I thought this was a pretty cool shot of the baby nursing while the mom got a little lunch for herself. Wyatt loved it.

Awwww. Right?

And this is little Miss Macy. Dear Macy: You are so cute. I love your hair. My hair was your color when I was your age. None of my children inherited it, but I'm glad to see somebody did. I'm sorry we kept ignoring you in your stroller while everyone else looked at stuff at the zoo, but next year you'll like it a lot more. Promise. Love, Aunt Angie.

Cousins: A profile.

Riding the tigers. I love how Jack's hat was always just a little skeewompus. Jack is three. Jack can read. He's a supergenius and Wyatt loves hanging with him.

The obligatory Famous Lion Drinking Fountain Photo

And the obligatory Do You Measure Up Stretch Your Arms Like a Gorilla Photo. Although they changed it! It used to be one gorilla--a male, probably, those zookeeping sexists--but more enlightened zookeepers now have a male, female, juvenile and infant gorilla. Much more equitable. But Grandpa is, and will always and forever be, the Silverback Male.
It was a fun day, and it's been a fun cousin week. Here's to cousins! And Grandmas and Grandpa and Aunts and Uncles and Brothers and Sisters and the whole lot of you. Love ya.
6 comments:
Seeing no pictures of Dave at the zoo, may we assume he was fixing someone's computer at the time?
Looks like fun! We don't have to live in UT to take you up on your willingness to watch cousins, do we? Can we just swing by and drop off three kids for a while if we want a getaway?
And baby animals have such a soft spot in my heart. Someone would've had to pull me away from that elephant, I'm afraid.
Ang - I often reflect on the San Francisco trip that you took back in the day - and how life has changed so much from those times and yet they were so full of excitement and probably much too much danger as well but oh the memories! Loved, loved, loved the zoo with you and mousemas!
xo
Mama elephant
I love cousins too! It's so fun to let our boys get together and play. Jack sure likes Wyatt. And thanks for your letter to Macy. We get so many comments on her hair and I think it's so cute. I wonder if it will go blond like yours did.
Here's to cousins indeed!
Love, your cousin
Wish I could tag along as aged great auntie :}
Post a Comment