I'm not doing much blogging because of NaNoWriMo (computer time is preeeecious--and you're supposed to say that in your head in the exact same way as Gollum in the LOTR movies). But a couple of things.
1. Ethan's been in MN with his Dad having a grand old time shootin pheasants and visiting our old house. He hasn't been back since we moved almost 4 years ago and he told me it was "cool but weird. Everything's small. And not as wooded." He's coming home tonight, flying as an unaccompanied minor (and Forrest didn't find out until he checked him in at the gate a few hours ago that it's an extra 100 smakeroonies to do that). It worries me a touch, having him fly all alone, but then I remember that I flew by myself to Albuquerque to see my Grandparents when I was eight and nothing terrible happened. Other than the fact that I returned home with my hair cut short. As I remember it, my Grandma didn't really run that decision past my mom. But the cool thing about hair is that it grows, right?
Anyway, in honor of Ethan, I want to point everybody in the direction of his rarely-posted-upon blog. He has a new post up and he wants some input. So everybody visit here. Fly home safe, bud!
2. I've written about 22,000 words of the 50,000 I plan to have done by Nov. 30. I'm a little behind, it's true, but I think I can do it. I'm feeling more groovy (as in in-the-groove, not so much groovy-baby), and although I have no idea how the story's going to turn out, I've forgotten how much fun it is to have characters and conflicts start leaping up out of the bushes.
3. Wyatt refuses to be poop trained.
4. How come I never win cooking contests? In the past few years I've entered chili contests, cookie contests, and just this week, a cobbler contest. All of these are church activity or neighborhood togetherness related, of course. I'm more a social baker than a serious chef. No Pillsbury Bake-off for me. I mean, heavens, I'm like oh-for-five in WARD cook-offs. This last time there were FOUR entrants and they gave TWO prizes and I still didn't win.
It's enough to make a girl swear off cooking altogether. Except I do make wicked good chocolate chip cookies. Even if nobody wants to give them a prize . . .
4 comments:
That's so cute that everything seemed small to Ethan. A sign of growing up! And Ang, I remember when you and Forrest won a snowboard for entering your chili recipe!
Love,
Mama
Wouldn't you rather people gobbled up your chocolate chip cookies faster than you can make them than win a cup or a ribbon? (Quick: who won last year's academy award for best actress?)
We can personally attest to the deliciousness of your non-prize-winning chocolate chip cookies.
Make some more of them (as soon as NanNoMiMo-whatever- is over.)
My absolute best cooking thing is chocolate chip cookies too! Ethan's probably having a great time flying alone and being all grown upish. I can't believe it's an extra $100 to fly him! Ridiculous! I will only fly Southwest now because I can't stand that other airlines charge for luggage. It just gets to me.
For what it's worth, in all of my cooking glory (which isn't much) I make a lot of the recipes you submitted in the Hiatt cookbook.
Yeah, I was just going through the Hiatt family cookbook yesterday and I had this thought that I should tell you how much I LOVE your Company's Coming Lemon Italian chicken recipe and I make it all the time (it was the reason why I was opening the Hiatt family cookbook in the first place) and I love to pair it with the spinach salad just like you recommend. Good luck with the rest of the challenge...sounds like so much fun!
Post a Comment