So remember how, last post, I "put out in the universe" the idea that I might enjoy attending next year's Relief Society Christmas party rather than planning it?
The universe was listening. And the universe has issues with me.
So, yes, I got a new calling. Fifteen minutes before church started last Sunday and I was scheduled to sing with the choir I was given the calling I'm most afraid of. The calling that, whenever anyone had asked me if I was tired of my current calling, I used as an example of what that current calling was much easier than. A calling in the organization that I've publicly complained about, lo here on this very blog.
Yes. I am now the Webelos leader.
The funny thing is that after I got the phone call from the bishopbric I said to a number of people that I'd be okay with anything--ANYTHING--just as long as it wasn't Scouts. I'd even (and I feel guilty admitting this but there you have it) prayed not to get put in Scouts. So I was a little bit stunned when the call came on Sunday, and probably looked a little stunned up on the stand singing with the choir. And I was the only member of my RS presidency who was released, so it was emotional saying goodbye to them during Relief Society. I've served with them for a long time and have really grown to love them. I also felt a little bit like God was purposely trying to make my life hard by giving me exactly the opposite of what I'd asked for, and I found myself wondering what I'd done to irritate him. (Well, I'm sure the list is long, but I'd rather not go there.)
Over the last few days it's been sinking in, though, and I'm not as upset as I was on Sunday. Still have a sick feeling whenever I think about all the work ahead of me--I'm so clueless about Scouts, really I am--but I'm happy about the women I'll get to work with in the Scouting organization and glad I still get to go to Relief Society. I'm sure I'll grow to love the boys. I doubt I'll ever grow to love all the hoop-jumping and paperwork and other organizational headaches inherent in the Scouting program, though--but apparently God likes for things to be hard. Or so I've heard. And, even if I complain sometimes, I'm a worker. I'll do the work. And then maybe someday before I die, I will have worked enough that God will see fit to give me a teaching calling and I can do something I'm actually GOOD AT.
So. If anybody has any spare prayers lying around, maybe toss them my way?
Oh, and one other bit of news (and this one isn't nearly as dramatic and has nothing to do with the important things in life): I got a new phone. The Droid Eris. It was time for me to renew my phone contract and I reaaallllly wanted a smart phone. Although I had a bunch of practical reasons for wanting one (mainly dealing with keeping on top of work, email, etc etc), the truth is I just wanted one. And since Forrest is pretty non-gadgety--he's the only 30-something business guy I know who doesn't use a PDA but instead uses yellow notebooks and post-its--he just sighed and rolled his eyes and did the whole "I don't understand it but I'll support you" thing like a good husband.
And can I just say: the phone is wicked cool!!!! Love it. Maybe now I can download some Webelos apps that will completely plan all my activities for the next six months! (Who knows--maybe Scouting apps do exist. I'll have to look into it.)
But now I have to get going and finish my grades. Tonight: more wrapping. Tomorrow: festivities! Friday: The Big Day! Saturday: Seeing The Nutcracker with Elise and Katie and Jane. (Every time I say "The Nutcracker" Forrest must respond with "Son of a Nutcracker!" from Elf. You can click on the link below and hear it with your very own ears. Who knew one could link to audio clips from movies? This world!)
So Merry Christmas to you all. Let's see if I make it through 2010 in one piece!
8 comments:
Ouch! Scouts! But you'll be very, very good at it.
Ha, I've pretty much crashed and burned with Scouts twice. First time, I was called as Scoutmaster in a mostly retired ward with few youth, and someone dropped off a briefcase full of Scouting CRAP, and I didn't look at it or meet with the Scouts EVEN ONCE, and then a few weeks later I came down with Hodgkin's disease and promptly handed back the briefcase, even managing to joke that maybe cancer was a reasonable out (I WAS JOKING).
The second time I was called into Cubs to help a guy with a den, and he tried to get me to take every other den meeting, but I refused and basically said I'm just here to make sure you don't molest anyone. And so that's what I did for several months, just sit and watch den meetings every week, maybe helping out a little if given a very specific task. Finally I was released and felt so relieved.
I have three young boys and will likely be asked again at some point, and I am prepared just to politely decline, despite all the brainwashing we hear about what a slap in the face it is to the Lord if we decline any calling, all of which are extended by REVELATION, folks, REVELATION. Why make myself miserable and do the Scouts a disservice?
Thanks, Denny. And Chris, I'll take Scouts over cancer. :-) As far as the inspiration/desperation question goes, I think sometimes it's the latter and other times it's the former. I'll get back to you in a year and let you know which one this calling ends up being. And I have declined a calling in the past (long story), but I felt like, with this one, there are so many people who struggle with Scouts and still put their shoulders to the wheel and do it that I'd better take my turn.
Be prepared. Do a good turn daily. You'll be great!
Joyeux Nöel
Oh, Ang. Scouts. I'm totally clueless in that realm, too, so have no good advice to offer. But I can throw up a prayer or two for ya. Keep us posted on how it goes!
There are definitely benefits to having a sister 10 years older. When I'm called to scouting in 2019 you'll have lots of good advice for me. (-:
Good luck! Have you ever been called to a teaching position?
And your phone rocks!
So, I was the Webelos leader in our ward and as far as Cub Scouting goes, it is the best one! It is all planned out in the manual and all you have to do is work on specific things from the book. Go for one activity badge a month. Keep a folder for each badge and there you have it. I think you will like it. It beats activity days anyday, my next calling that I thought I would LOVE compared to scouts but found out that I am much more of a scout leader. HATE pack meeting but now you can put your two cents in there! Good luck:). You are the mother of 3 boys. It is only fair. That is what I tell myself!
Ang - Jenny's advise gave me hope!! (and I just heard that Jenny's dad is a new Bishop - lucky ward! The church is true).
So, on a silly note, and because I'm home from work and decidedly not making my agenda for tonight's RS meeting, here's a Year-at-a-Glance for the new We Be Loyal Scouts Leader:
January - Tie complicated knots.
February - Make ice caves in your back yard and sleep in them.
March - Build kites and attempt to fly them at the Great Salt Lake.
April - Dig compost pit in back yard in preparation for June garden project. Invite boys to bring organic table scrapings to your house.
May - Learn complicated compass readings in preparation for 5-mile hike in July.
June- Plant garden using surprisingly robust compost pit.
July - 5-mile hike in honor of the hottest day of the year.
August -Back-yard BBQ feasting on garden harvested corn and tomatoes.
September - Begin Reindeer Christmas project - coolest thing ever. Have everyone bring a daddy-man sized sock monkey-type sock to stuff.
October - Continue working on coolest Christmas project ever by hot-gluing fabric on cardboard base for hanging trophy-like on family room wall.
November - Wrap coolest Christmas project ever using the kites as wrapping paper since they didn't work out so good as kites.
December - Enjoy hot cocoa together. Sing carols to neighborhood. Feel warm inside and not just because of hot cocoa. Send boys home with coolest Chrismtas project ever. Nod off to sleep that night in deep satisfaction........or not:0
XO
Mamabear
Post a Comment