Tuesday, May 04, 2010

So, Yesterday

I guess if I get a good Monday then I have to balance it out w/ a bad one.  Yesterday my purse got stolen out of my car in Zupas' parking lot.  While I was enjoying a nice bowl of Chicken Enchilada Chili with my dear husband and darling son, some child of God decided to swipe my bag, which contained my planner, address book, credit cards, checkbook, $5 in cash (I'm big time), $30 on Kohl's cash (almost spent it on Saturday--dang!!), an almost-full Cafe Rio punchard, a $10 JCPenney coupon, my library cards, zoo membership cards, insurance cards, precious pictures of my children and the Best Ever Babe Picture of Forrest from 1992 (irreplaceable, and I don't have another copy!), and, yes, my social security card.   I know.  I've been telling myself for YEARS that I need to take my social security card out of my wallet.  I KNOW.

Nobody broke into the car, but I'm pretty sure I accidentally left it open because Forrest and I pulled up in different cars and Wyatt was winging around the parking lot, which made me nervous, so there's a good chance I forgot to hit the lock button.  And, since my Best Ever Babe Husband was buying, I left my purse in the car.  Luckily, at the last second I grabbed my new phone from its little cubbyhole in the dashboard and put it in my pocket, or else that would have been swiped too, I'm sure.  So, bright side: didn't lose my phone, only lost $5 in cash, and my temple recommend was still in my temple bag, so I don't have to go through the rigmarole of replacing it.   Not so bright side: spent the day at the DMV & the bank getting things worked out and replaced, put a call in to the credit reporting agencies since my SS# was compromised, called in a police report just in case, I have to buy a new purse and a new wallet (I've been using the same leather Franklin Day Planner as my wallet since, I think, 1996), and on and on.  And I'm leaving to spend the weekend in Chicago w/ my girls, Sally and Michelle (which is good news!), but hopefully my temporary drivers license and new cards won't cause me any trouble getting on the plane or paying for stuff.  Shouldn't, right?

Sigh.

7 comments:

The Oregonians said...

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln,
how did you like the play?"

PS--We feel sorry for you; it was bad enough for us just to have hundreds of dollars charged to our Visa card. "This, too, shall pass."

amy said...

That's terrible! I've had the same wallet since jr. high and mom "encouraged" me to get a new one recently (it was getting pretty gross). Good luck getting everything worked out.

andrea said...

Dang. I hate stuff like that, Ang. And it better not mess up your trip!

Darlene Young said...

I'm so sorry!

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Oh, that's awful. Especially the photos. Very sorry indeed!

Julie said...

That's horrible. I hate that! I had my purse snatched right out of my car when we lived in Houston. We were parked in a friend's driveway as I was dropping Ben and Julia off to be babysat before Tom and I went to an Alicia de la Rocha concert. In and out, right? Took the kids in, chatted at the door, had to wait a few minutes, I had even left the door OPEN with my purse in the car and then, yes, it was gone in the blink of an eye. Now I always take my purse with me. It is such a hassle and a half to replace everything. Back in those days there wasn't on-line access to your checks or debits and I had to just guess at how much money I had in my checking account. My heart goes out to you. A pox on the divine offspring who did this to you. Glad you had your phone. Aunt Julie

Julia Warren said...

What a bummer. And it is so hard to not feel sorry for yourself and the little things you were planning on using--like the Kohls cash--and the mementos that are meaningless to the thief. Not long after we graduated, Chris and took a trip back east and I left my wallet in the first cab we took from the airport in Boston. It had probably $300 worth of American Express gift cards (precious graduation money) that I had been saving to spend in NYC. Gone in a flash. Someone mailed me back my wallet--sans gift cards and cash--a few weeks later. Weird.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...