| A view from the front porch |
| All tricked out . . . in a coat Jonas wore when he was seven. |
| Ready for the white stuff |
| Wyatt and the cute cute girl who lives next door (whose name I can't EVER remember) |
And, yes, I'm enjoying it in lots of ways. But I also feel a little bit disconnected, which is to be expected when you move away from family and friends and quit your job and don't have a calling. I'm not completely without distractions--I'm working on my final issue of Irreantum (I'll be stepping down as editor after the end of this year)--but it's almost done. And, of course, I'm writing too. But all these things are completely within my own purview. I can do them for however long I want to, whenever I want to. Don't have to go to any meetings, don't have to grade any papers, don't have to plan any activities for 10 year old boys, etc. etc. etc. So I'm enjoying it. Mostly. I'm also remembering that this "new normal" won't be the new normal for long, and that even though I would like to have a little more purpose and structure to my days, I'm going to do my best not to overload my plate. And underloaded plate is always easier to balance than an overloaded one, yes?
Other members of the family have been pretty busy, though. Mostly Ethan. He's been on tech crew for the high school production of Beauty and the Beast, which opened to wild acclaim last night. He's been at the high school every day until late at night over this last week, and I've been feeling his absence. But it was really fun to go see the play last night and the fruits of all his hard work. He does wish that he'd actually tried out for the production--he was a little leery of the singing and dancing--but he learned a lot working the lights and now knows for sure that he'll try out for the musical next time. It brought back so many memories to go to the high school and see the show last night; I so loved being in plays when I was younger. One of those things I'm so glad I did then, because most of us don't get the opportunity to do it ever again (unless you're Grandpa Hiatt, then you can do it for most of your adult life). It's so much fun to see Ethan interested in it too.
The other kids have been busy with school--all three older kids did great in their parent teacher conferences. And Forrest has been having a great time sitting in his tree, shooting videos of the girl deer, fork bucks, and fawns that continue to taunt him. And Forrest and I sneaked out this afternoon to go see a movie--the new Denzel Washington "Oh My Heck It's a Derailed Train!" movie. It was actually quite entertaining. We also have a great deal here in Woodbury; a guy in our ward owns a first-run movie theater where all tickets before 6 p.m. (even on weekends) are only four dollars. So a first run movie for 8 bucks? Pretty sweet, even if we don't have stadium seating.
And now I'd better sign off again. Thanks to all of you who popped in and said hello last blog post after I mentioned that my post-before-that was a little (ahem) lacking in comments. Seriously, though--no blog commenting pressure. Blog commenting pressure is the last thing ANY of us need, right? I know you love me.
And read EVERY WORD of my long winded blog. :-)
7 comments:
Odd to read your and Darlene's similar-themed posts on the same day, and I could write my own along the same lines, at least in terms of having passed on over $20K in (pretty boring) freelance writing jobs in the past couple of weeks. What a relief! I was in a really bad mood for a few weeks until I did that. I've also slowed down a lot on Zarahemla and am doing more TV watching and even some typing on my own novel.
Oh, and I've picked up "Lonely Polygamist" again, mainly out of guilt. So far, I'm enjoying it more than I did the first 100 pages. Maybe this time I will stick to it and finish and like it better than I expected...
That sunset pic is GORGEOUS. Wow.
Looks like Wyatt is well-equipped for the Minnesota winters.
Wyatt looks so dang cute being pulled in that saucer, but oh brrrrrrrrrrrrr - winter in Minn-eee-soda! I'll never forget breathing in the air as we stepped out of the shelter of the Minnepolis/St. Paul Airport, onto the loading area which was OUTSIDE. Talk about "don't inhale!" I made dad look for your car while I waited inside. But yet it's just part of the package of the great Minnesota-land. I heard on the radio on my way home tonight that Minneapolis/St. Paul is the most "relaxed" city in the U.S. whatever THAT means. I also out of the blue started getting into the Christmas spirit - just all of a sudden - I was in it! Can't wait to see you for Thanksgiving!
XO]
Mom
Ang, you take the most beautiful pictures. I love the sunset pic with the silhouette of the lamppost. Very Narnia-worthy. The snow looks so fresh and clean.
I'm glad you have some free time because I'm sure you will have a full plate in no time. Enjoy your time puttering and decorating nooks and crannies.
Just thought I'd comment and let you know that Charlie Brown passed away on Sunday. Your post about musicals made me think you might want to know. Glad to see that the great winter equalizer has descended in Minnesota. We've still got crappy brown lawns, and all it's doing is taunting us to put up Christmas lights (which I might just protest this year!) Glad to hear that life has settled down and things are down to a dull roar!
I agree with Mom. Brrrrr!!! Minnesota winters. Everyone who's been to USU complains about the Logan winters, but I know better. My hair did freeze while walking around campus there, but my nostrils were never sealed shut from breathing like they did in MN. With that said, I'm jealous of your beautiful playable snow.
"Talk of the cold!
Through the parka's fold
it would stab like a driven nail.
And if our eyes we'd close
Then our lashes froze
And we sometimes couldn't see...."
Ethan: I used to tell the actors in my shows not to get too carried away with their own importance. If it were'nt for the guy (or gal) running the lights, no one would even see them.
Post a Comment