Thursday, January 19, 2012

Frickin Freezing

It finally feels like a Minnesota winter today. -7 without wind chill (something like -25 with). I took Wyatt to swimming lessons and he insisted on wearing his swim suit there, although I made him wear his coat and shirt of course. The best part of the story, though, is how I bundled up his pants and underwear inside the towel, or so I thought. Turns out I dropped the pants in the garage. I ended up wrapping Wyatt's bottom half in his towel and carrying all 50 pounds of him across the wind whipped YMAC parking lot. Mom hero!

What else? Hmmm. Ethan starts speech this weekend. Elise was one of 15 of the 40 kids who auditioned for her school's talent show, "Lake Idol." She performed two days ago, singing and playing "Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane on her guitar, and did GREAT. I'm not just saying that as a mom, either. She rocked it. Sadly, though, she didn't make to the Top 10 "next round," and she was robbed. Robbed I tell you! (Seriously. I'm getting over it though. She got over it faster than I did.) Jonas wants contact lenses. Wyatt completely skipped over the "Eel" portion of swimming lessons (Pike - Ray - Eel is the usual progression) and just learned how to do the breast stroke today. In Eel class they call it "pizza," because what almost-5 year old is interested in doing a "breast stroke"? And it's almost his birthday. Saturday, the big 5! I can hardly believe it.

Seminary is going okay, but January and February are the doldrums, to be sure. I remember from my time as a public school teacher. This morning at 7:15 we had exactly 4 kids of 16 in the classroom. A few more trickled in to hear me try and make Samuel the Boy Prophet applicable to their everyday lives (and he actually is applicable to their everyday lives, wouldnt-you-know), but overall the feeling in the room is not the most robust from day to day. It's okay, though. Ups and downs, yes? We'll all feel better when it's not so frickin freezing.

I am very conflicted about Romney becoming the Republican nominee. The Mormon part of me wants him to do well -- that whole tribal thing -- but the Democrat part of me really wishes that he would stop saying stuff like concern over income inequality is just envy. Dude, I'm not jealous of you. Promise. I just think that the whole rich-get-richer-while-the-poor-go-hang isn't the very best way to run a society. How about this: I won't say you're blinded by privilege if you don't say I'm blinded by envy, and we'll leave it at that.

Last thing: I just finished listening to Destiny of the Republic, a biography of President James Garfield, and it was excellent. I love books where I find myself thinking, "I had no idea," and I thought that over and over and over again while listening to this book.  Garfield was a truly outstanding human being and would have probably been one of our best presidents had he lived. If you want a good read (or a good listen) pick this one up.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Sorry it's so cold, but you live in Minnesota and it's supposed to be cold so you are doing your part to make it feel that all is right with the world! I'll never forget walking out of the Minnesapolis/St. Paul airport to crane my neck down the road to see if your car was in line to pick us up and I couldn't breathe the air was so cold. It's a Minnesota kind of cold, that's for sure. I think it makes you all healthy and beautiful - what does Garrison Keillor say? That all of the children are above average or something like that?
xo
Mom

amy said...

I agree with mom on the cold. If I was ever cold walking to campus in Logan, I thought of being in Minnesota over Christmas and the Logan cold didn't seem so bad (except when my hair froze). The Garfield book sounds interesting. I'll have to get it soon. I just finished The Help and that was great! Thanks for the recommendations.
I won't get too political here, but I did think one of Romney's money quotes was pretty good "Eventually you run out of other people's money." I mostly wish the media would get over his finances. Who cares about how much he paid in taxes. Is that really going to make a difference about what kind of president he could be? I too am conflicted about him.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...