Monday, February 04, 2008

The Year of Discipline

Forrest has decided that 2008 is the year of discipline, and has exercised almost every single day since Jan 1. He's even dropped to the floor to do his push-ups and sit-ups when we're exhausted and it's near midnight, so I have to give him props. And he's lost 10 pounds in just about 4 weeks. A part of me is proud of him, and a part of me is jealous. Although I have finally reached the weight I was when I first went to the Dr., pregnant with Wyatt (but that weight was probably about 5 pounds heavier than I had been, since I was about 10 weeks pregnant.) But the "official" weight gain that the doctor kept track of has all been lost. Now I just have all the unofficial weight to contend with.

So Forrest can lose 10 pounds in 4 weeks, and I lose 4 pounds in 5 months. That sounds about right :-).

For my own year of discipline, I've been trying to read my scriptures and floss consistently. So my track record has been a little spotty, but I'm doing better than last year, at least!

We've had a lot going on this week, so here's a quick rundown of the highlights:

-Elise and Forrest had a Daddy/Daughter night for her Activity Days at church. They had a little tailgate meal and wore their favorite team jerseys. (Forrest and Elise were Ute fans.) Here's a cute shot of the two of them:



-We enjoyed watching President Hinckley's funeral as a family on Saturday. I was surprised at how emotional I felt--of course, I knew that I would be sad, but I was also happy for President Hinckley, that he got to have a little rest after 97 years of hard work, and see his wife again. But all of us were emotional as we sat listening to the talks (well, okay, Jonas wandered away and started playing WebKinz on the computer after a while, but I'll give him a break since he's six.) But Forrest and Ethan and Elise and I all watched the whole thing, and it was a very spiritual experience. I'm glad I got to share it with the kids.

-Saturday night, we had a big party with some friends in the neighborhood. We had ten couples (counting Forrest and me), and even though the kitchen was a little squishy, everybody seemed to have a ball. We did some SingStar (and can I just say how talented my family is?? Twenty people, and hardly anybody broke 5,000--when my family plays it, we're all battling it out in the 8,000 and 9,000 range!!) but everybody was a really good sport, even those who were decidedly tone deaf. We also played Taboo. It's such a hilarious game, especially when you have people who are kind of clueless but are unembarassed about it, so you can all laugh while they cringe and say, "Uh, um, in the air! A parking lot!" (The answer to that one was "skydive." He misread it and thought it was "skydrive." Hilarious.) A fun night, though. And the bonus of doing a party like that is that, after spending all day on Saturday cleaning, now my house is wonderfully spic an span!

-On Sunday, we got a HUGE snowstorm. It's been snowing so much this winter, it's been unreal, but yesterday we got almost 14 inches in South Jordan. We woke up in the morning and got all ready to drive down the road to 9:00 church, but at a quarter to we got a call that church had been cancelled. That's quite a rarity, especially when the church is so close, but there were lots of people who couldn't get out of their driveways and the parking lot was a mess. So we had a nice snowy day at home, capped off by my Mom and Dad and Tony and Cindy dropping by to catch some Superbowl action. And I did watch the last 10 minutes, which were very exciting (did you see that Giants guy catch the pass with his head?).

-Wyatt has started saying, "Whassat?" and pointing everywhere. It's hilarious. I don't know if he really knows what "Whassat?" means, or if he's just copying us, but it seems like he's grown a couple of months in just a couple of weeks. Doesn't hurt that he's walking everywhere now. Big boy.

So now I've successfully avoided grading papers for long enough. Gotta get to work!

4 comments:

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Oh that picture of Forrest and Elise is too adorable (maybe Forrest doesn't want to be adorable...but the matching blue eyes are so cute).

I know what you mean about being so emotional during Pres. Hinckley's funeral. I'd cry and think I was kinda done with the crying...but then a fresh wave would hit. I've really cried a lot about him, but it feels good.

The huge snowstorm pretty much bypassed us and landed on you guys. What a winter it's been.

andrea said...

What a great pic of Forrest and Elise. Andrew will be so excited to do daddy/daughter stuff with Whit. (and Caroline, too, I'm sure.)

Your party sounds so fun! Next time we're visiting, I'll have to teach you the Taboo-ish type game we played at my last girls night in. Also a lot of fun. I know what you mean about Singstar. I think we should form a family band or something. We'd rock!

I'm so non-emotional. I didn't cry at all until the closing song of the funeral when it had all the great photos running in the background. I think Andrew cried more than me.

Anonymous said...

When I first found out about Pres. Hinkley I wasn't that sad. I too thought that he had worked so hard and for so long and was happy he could be with his wife. But then when I watched the funeral I became more selfishly sad and realized how much I'll miss him. I'm so glad we have the BYU channel and can watch stuff like that at home. What a beautiful day it was!

Your snow storm has moved our way and we have a fresh 5 inches right now.

Anonymous said...

You shouldn't floss. Floss is laced with chemicals that persuade you to go to the dentist every six months for no apparent reason.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...