Tuesday, October 14, 2008

And so it begins . . .



Yes, here is the Mister, watching "a show." I wonder if, in 40 years, his wife will find him in the same pose.

"Show" is among one of his favorite new words. Some others:

"Circles"--This is what he says when he's found a pencil and is drawing all over the wall/floor/cabinetry. Yes, he's drawing circles. I keep trying to get him to draw his circles in notebooks, but so far he finds them artistically uninspiring. The spiral binding, perhaps?

"Eli"--He loves his cousin Eli. The other day he found a picture of Eli and Eli's family and carried it around for a couple hours, and whenever we pull up to Grandma and Grandpa Sweat's he asks for his favorite cousin.



"Books"--He reaaallly loves his animals books. Almost obsessively so. There's one of those collage-of-real-life-photos board books (you know those kinds that are jumbly and kind of give you a headache to look at but kids love them??) and it has all kinds of animals and he MUST have it in order to go down for his nap. He looks and looks and looks at it. He's really into the giraffe right now (he calls it a "babo" and for the life of me I can't figure out why.)

"Elmo!"--Whomever the Sesame Street staffer was that decided to name the fuzzy red muppet with the squeaky voice "Elmo" was on to something. "Elmo" is the perfect toddler word, isn't it? Although Wyatt usually calls him "Melmo." He has a singing/dancing Elmo--it sings "E L M O" to the YMCA theme song and does all the actions, but when he tips over on one side to make the "M," if he's on carpet he falls over and says "Uh oh!" all dramatically. Wyatt thinks it's hilarious. He also likes to make the Elmo run through one rendition of his song before naptime. (This is the same Elmo that a big-kid-who-shall-remain-nameless made me remove from his/her bedroom because it was "freaking him/her out." Strangely, I could empathize.)

"Cookie! Juice! Nana! Chips!" Basically (junky) food of any kind. And "nana" is the least likely of all the aforementioned snacks to be suggested. :-)

and last but not least . . .

"Dada." Boy does Wyatt love his Dad. Just tonight Forrest came home from a business trip and went upstairs to change his clothes without Wyatt knowing he'd arrived. So Wyatt comes calumphing up from the basement and I say, "Hey Bud, did you know Daddy's home? He's upstairs." Faster than you can say "Melmo" Wyatt spins around and starts zipping up the stairs as quick as his little thighs will take him. Nobody beats Dada. Even Mama.

So now I'm thinking we should teach him how to say "Obama." Do you think it would cause trouble for him in the nursery?? :-)

(And an unrelated p.s. I'm sitting here next to Elise while she tries to finish her homework. And what is the homework you ask? A word search. Can I say how much I dislike word searches, even for "fun"? But for homework?? It's such a blatantly obvious busywork assignment. And I just spent 5 full minutes trying to find the word "moment" and I COULDN'T FIND IT. Arrghh! What is this teaching her, except that most of what you'll be asked to do in your work life is pointlessly time consuming??)

7 comments:

The Oregonians said...

I'm with you on word searches. What an exercise in futility.
For a far more interesting challenge, check your email (since I can't figure out how to do it in a blog.)

Wyatt is becoming quite the wordsmith. Have no fear, Mama, when he leaves for his mission it will be you he misses most.

andrea said...

What a fun Wyatt update! That first picture is awesome. What a man-boy.

Mark Brown said...

My in-laws watched our two girls a couple of weeks ago and Avery, our six year old, saw Obama on television and announced to my very Republican mother-in-law: "That's who we're voting for. Not that cranky old man with short arms."

Delise said...

Heh, I was wondering the same thing about homework in general just the other day and my administrator mother suggested that it's, "to teach them to meet a deadline, or to finish a job that isn't exciting/entertaining" Right. So there you go. :)

Wyatt is a little darling!

Anonymous said...

It's too bad word searches serve no purpose. I've always been good at them for some reason.

Thanks for the Wyatt update. Since we've potty-trained Jack, I'm daily telling him to stop grabbing himself. Boys.

Julia Warren said...

That pose of Wyatt is priceless.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for belly laughs for both dad and I with that picture of Wyatt. And thanks for all of the other great updates as well. Wyatt is growing up so fast - I still can't get over seeing him up on the stand at Reagan's baptism and thinking "what a cute little boy....hey, is that my grandson?"
Love you!
mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...