Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Twenty Years

So Forrest and I have officially been two-little-lovebirds-sitting-in-a-tree (and, yes, k-i-s-s-i-n-g) for 20 years. Well, scratch that. We've been k-i-s-s-i-n-g for 18 years, since there wasn't any smooching going on from April 1990- April 1992. Well, scratch that too. Forrest wasn't doing any smooching from 1990-1992. (And I wasn't doing much of it. And it was halfhearted.)

ANYWAY . . . twenty years. That's a loooong time, baby. But a long, good time. I can't imagine spending two decades with anyone more intelligent, hilarious, generous and fun then the man I met when he was a 145-pound 17-year-old who drove a beat down Chevy Citation and wore a Violent Femmes t-shirt, a white cardigan and bright red Chuck Taylors.

And yes, Dad, you had good cause to be suspicious (who WAS this guy hanging around all the time???) but I've got to thank both my parents for trusting little sixteen year old me and seventeen year old him and not kicking him to the curb (or locking me in my bedroom), because I can't imagine sharing my life with anyone better.

But enough mushiness. Y'all know I love my man. But I love him ESPECIALLY right now because of the surprise he sprung on me last weekend: a celebratory getaway extravaganza! And boy, did we have a great time.

My parents helped out (thank you thank you) and stayed w/ the kidlets so we could sneak away on Friday afternoon. Here we are, on our way out the door to go see Quantum of Solace:


Don't you think Forrest looks a little like Daniel Craig in this shot? It's the piercing blue eyes. And yes, hon, the muscles.

After seeing the movie--which was full of gunshots and explosions and car chases and pretty ladies in slinky dresses and Bond getting the crap kicked out of him--we took off toward the mountains. I had no idea where we were going, but it became clear pretty quick that we were headed to Park City. What I really didn't expect, though, was to pull up to the swank-a-rific Stein Erickson Lodge. I know! Forrest got a good off-season deal on Hotels.com (still wasn't cheap, though) and this West Valley girl felt pretty pampered for a couple of days. I wonder how rich you have to be to stop worrying that the doorman/concierge/server isn't judging you for your Old Navy windbreaker? (Well, I just answered that, I guess: when you are rich enough not to be wearing an Old Navy windbreaker.)

We had a gorgeous room and an even more gorgeous view.



The view after dark was nice, too: the lights were so soft and twinkly and peaceful. That night we had a fun dinner at an Asian fusion place. Forrest has been reading this book about sushi--yes, a book about sushi--and he was anxious to try some of Park City's offerings. And mmmmm . . . it was good.

We slept in that morning, had a delicious breakfast at "the lodge," (yeah, it was a lot of eating, and I'm paying for it) then we headed home. But we were only home for a few hours before jetting off again to the Segullah couples' pre-holiday party, which was also a grand time. At any rate, it was a fabulous weekend, restful and restorative and fun. My batteries have been effectively charged.

Oh, and two final things. One, Irreantum is at the printer (hooray!) and should be mailed out in the next day or two. Two, I got my hair cut kinda short and decided to color it darker, and a little red. I'm tired of the blond highlights. Time for a winter look. Voila:

10 comments:

andrea said...

How fun is THAT??? Good for you guys. And the haircut and color look great!

Mills Family said...

What a fun get-a-way! And, you look fantastic with your new hair color and cut!

The Oregonians said...

Here's to another twenty years (at least).

Anonymous said...

Ang - I love your hair. I think you are required to call your mother and tell her immediately when you make semi-dramatic changes in hair color. The picture with the snowy Park City mountains behind you is gorgeous - and we had a great time with the kidlets - hope Joe doesn't have any lingering effects from me letting him sleep in the toy cubby!
XO
Mom

Evie said...

Happy 20th! :) Your hair is dang cute girl!! Forrest will be whisking you away every weekend if you keep that up!

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Congrats on the k-i-s-s-i-n-g anniversary. I think it's cool that you two go way back to high school daze. I, too, love the haircut/color.

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous. We really need to move to Utah so I can leave our kidlets and let Dave take me off to exciting surprise places. It's crazy to think it's been twenty years...yep, I was 6 at the time. (-:

Julia Warren said...

By the way you described it, it sounds like Forrest had kicking style back in the day. Why doesn't he wear red Chucks anymore? I love your hair.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, Angie & Forrest! I can't believe it's been 20 years. I can't believe you're over 20, period. Great hair. Hey, Ang, what's "wordtwister?"
Aunt Julie

Delise said...

What a fun get away! Way to go Forrest for treating my girl right (ok techinically she's YOUR girl...but the sentiments apply). Love the hair Ang...wit woo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...