
Bring it on, zombies. Bring it on.
(To clarify, of course Mormons don't really believe in zombies. If we did, would I be tauting them like that? Don't think so.)
2. I sent Ethan on his first winter camp for Scouts this weekend. He held his own. I kept thinking about him that night, all huddled up, teeth chattering, but he assured me that he stayed nice and warm in his double sleeping bag. A friend of his apparently "almost" got his toes frost-bit (according to Ethan, of course, so take this with a grain of rice. I have plenty.)

I've gotta admit, there are some things about Boy Scouts that I just don't understand, but I'd better get my head around it because I'm going to have a Boy Scout pretty much continuously for the next 16 years. For my two non-Mormon readers, the Church's youth program for boys from 12-18 is connected with the Boy Scout program. It's a great program. It's also a lot of work and pressure, complete with papers that need signatures and camps that require tinfoil dinners and badges that necessitate sewing. (I accidentally typed "swearing." Freudian?). Did I mention it's a great program?
3. I started marshalling troops for our Relief Society's upcoming production of Women at the Well in March. For my two non-Mormon readers (and my Mormon readers who tend to stay away from Mormon pop/inspirational music), Women at the Well is a production (not really a play) with narration and music about women during the time of Christ. Although Mormon pop/inspirational music has an undeniably high cheese factor, this particular production is actually pretty good. And somehow--miraculously, amazingly--all seven of the women I asked to sing (and SOLOS, no less) said yes. Enthusiastically. A few even thanked me for asking. It's probably going to be a lot of work, but I'm strangely okay with that. Grumpy about merit badge paperwork, okay about organizing slightly cheesy Mormon pop/inspirational productions. There you go.
4. Went out to lunch yesterday with the editors of the Mormon magazines represented at The Red Brick Store, our newborn Mormon Pubs blog. So I headed out with Kathy, my dearest compadre and editor of Segullah (of course!), to Thaifoon and ate Pad Thai and lettuce wraps with the editors of Sunstone and Dialogue. It was a ton of fun . . . except I forgot to turn my phone on vibrate and found after dropping Kathy off (3 minutes from my house) that apparently Wyatt had decided to stage a nap strike, today of all days, and my kids (happy MLK Day kids! It's babysitting time!) were calling me every twenty minutes wailing, "He won't go to sleep! Please come home! Pleeeaaaaaassse!" Everyone survived, though, even if Wyatt's diaper was on all skiwompus. It's good for the older kids to deal with stressful situations without mom around, right? Builds character? Thought so!
Now it's time to get the kids out the door for school. Jonas just said, "Hey Mom, aren't you going to do something for me?" "Like what?" I asked. (He's already been breakfasted up.) "I don't know," he replied. "Tell me to go upstairs and put on my socks."
See? A little character building is entirely appropriate.
6 comments:
Wow! Great week. Really? Your first time at the dry pack? You know you can base an entire enrichment around that and check out the machine, purchase all the product and do your own canning at the church. Speaking from experience, I would suggest encouraging others to GO TO the dry pack.
It is hard not to worry about your boy while off at winter camp. I worried about Stockton all day yesterday as he was at day camp. He returned in one piece but I don't think he brought back one thing he took with him :(. We need to work on the responsibility thing here.
Ang - We should get together and make something out of wheat and yeast and watch it rise together this weekend :)
Way to hang in there with Scouting - keep me posted how it goes - I flunked it, and as you already know, it's on my loooong bucket lists of regrets.
Also, Jonas's comment at the end made me laugh out loud.
Love,
Mom
You mean all those movies I've seen with zombies are science fiction?
That's a good idea for an Enrichment, Jenny. I'll pass it along to my preparedness lady (she does a quarterly "small group" that would be perfect for.)
You know, before I moved to MN food storage wasn't even on my radar . . . then we lived in Minnesota! Then I moved back and had a baby and, well, here you go. First time! The shame! :-).
Mom, we should some time. It would probably be hilarious.
And Grandpa, didn't you always tell me that everything in the movies is real?
Oh dang, grandpa kind of stole my comment. I was going to say, "We don't believe in zombies?" So I'll just say great post and I admire your courage and fortitude in pursuing not only food storage projects, but also scouting AND cheesy Mormon pop productions. Good luck with them all!
I don't plan on going to the cannery for probably the next ten years because they make impossible for anyone with little kids to go. I have bought stuff from there though and our young women are doing a great fund raiser right now. You can sign up to have a young woman go to the cannery for you and you just pay her for her time. Isn't that a great idea? I'm with you on the dried apples. Mmmmm...might as well enjoy your meals with the zombies.
Post a Comment