
Just when everything Bound on Earthy had settled down some, we (meaning the book and me) have gotten a little busier of late. There was the lascivious Deseret News review and the Whitney noms, and this last week I had three days of being Angela the Author (instead of what I really am the vast majority of the time: Angie the Diaper Changer, Enrichment Organizer, Carpool Shuttler, Cat Throwup Remover, Homework Helper, etc. etc.).
Wednesday I attended a Mormon lit class at UVU. They'd read my book and we had a nice discussion. Well, 3/4 of the class and I had a good discussion. There were a couple of what I like to call the "disgruntled." One girl in particular was kind of unnerving, staring at me all slitty-eyed, not saying a word. I wanted to ask "Do I offend?" a la Duckie from Pretty in Pink, but it probably would have made matters worse. The other students were enthusiastic and kind, though, and we had a great discussion. I'm always surprised which stories people want to talk about ("Thanksgiving," "Accusation," and--this is so weird to me because it's one of my least favorite chapters, one I even considered getting rid of-- "Helping," the short one when Beth's a little girl and tries to make dinner). Nobody ever--EVER--mentions, for example, "Mission Call," a story I quite like, thank you very much. Anyhoo, just interesting.
Then Friday I was invited to participate in BYU's Reader Series, which was very cool. They'd even made some slick-looking posters advertising the event, and it was a little disconcerting to come to campus and see myself smiling out from the library window. I was worried that I'd have a grand total of seven people at the reading--including my dear Segullah friends and my students whom I'd bribed with extra credit--but apparently other English teachers had bribed students with extra credit as well, because there were at least 30-40 people in attendance, I'd say. (Although it's hard for me to say for sure because once the lights dimmed and I was standing there reading I entered the zone-of-nerves and in such a state my math skills are seriously diminished.)
There was a reception and signing afterward. Didn't sign many books--five or six maybe?--but hey, students are poor, you know? I was glad to see that the trays of food that had been provided were immediately devoured. Seriously, in like three minutes all the food was gone. Students are poor AND hungry. At least they got some free cookies. Then the creative writing faculty took me to lunch, as is customary with these readings, I've been told. Due to some scheduling conflicts, only two of the professors were able to make it to lunch and they wanted to take me to a Thai place just off campus. Last minute, we decided it would be better if I drove . . . so that's how a celebrated poet ended up sitting on a pair of vampire teeth in the front seat of my Dodge Grand Caravan, and a highly respected fiction writer and scholar folded himself up next to my car seat, keeping his knees clear from the two empty Diet Coke cans I'd put in the center seat cup holders because I hadn't gotten around to throwing them away.
There are times one has to simply suck it up and roll with it, you know?? But lunch was good. Amiable chatting, tasty Pad Thai. It was a thrilling, nerve wracking, "Angela the Writer" kind of day, and although it was a lot of fun, I was also relieved when it was over. Being "Angela the Writer" kind of wears me out.
(An aside: Does this revelation make me sound like I'm a big fat faker? I feel like I'm always myself--at least as much myself as any of us can be--but depending on the circumstance I'm a slightly different version of myself. Mom the Clothes Washer and Homework Pusher. Sister Hallstrom the Relief Society Lady. Angie the Fun Girl from High School. Ang the Wife and the Friend. And, yes, Angela the Writer and Professor and Editor and Attender of Conferences. None of these sides of myself seem false to me--in fact, I think they're all essential facets of my personality--but is it wrong that I'm not my exact same self 100% of the time, all day long?? Ah well. This is a philosophical question for another day. Or, actually, never, since it makes my head hurt to think about it too much.)
So on Saturday I attended the Association for Mormon Letters conference. I try to attend every year if I can. See some friends, learn some new vocabulary words (this year it was "ontological," which turned up in no less than THREE of the sessions I attended, including the fantastic keynote address by Terryl Givens, author of People of Paradox: A History of Mormon Culture.) This year my lunch was free, though, because I received the AML award for the novel. I was tremendously honored, and it was great to touch base with old friends and get better acquainted with some new ones.
So! That's been the latter half of my last week. This week we have baseball tryouts and Women at the Well dress rehearsals and today I'm going to welfare square for five hours to do some dairy-related service, which I'm kind of looking forward to. Standing among a bunch of other Mormons in a hair net, no posters in sight, can be a beautiful thing.
9 comments:
Aren't we all multi-faceted in the way you described? I wouldn't lose sleep about it...you're the least fake person I know.
Sounds like you've been busy busy! I was laughing about you being the driver and the coke cans.
I was able to go to Welfare Square last week and screw lids on applesauce jars...it was strangely therapeutic in many ways (must be the hair nets!). Have a great time!
I am so proud of Angela the Author! Way to go, Ang!
Vampire teeth? Were you having a Twilight party or what?
I think we are required to wear lots of different hats for the many roles we play. We have to emphasize different strengths for each of those roles. But like you said, I think it's just a part of our real selves, not like we're putting up a front.
Not only do we have to wear a lot of hats, but sometimes one of them is a hair net.
Thanks for a seriously hilarious post.
And speaking of being slightly different versions of ourselves, today at work I was standing there chatting with Lynette, wearing my brown cords and bally sweater (that sounds scandelous but it means it had little pills, that's it, slightly pilly sweater, the little pill!)and I mused with her on my recent meeting with the Stake President where I was the floral, nyloned version of myself that is the only version of myself that he has ever seen. I thought, you know, I ought to go see him in the cords and pilly sweater so he knows what he's REALLY getting :)
Love you - you are famous.
Mom
Angie, what a great post. Loved every word. Congratulations on your award.
"All the world's a stage
And all the men and women merely players
They haave their exits and their
entrances...."
You basically rock the kazbah. Good job on the success of Bound on Earth. Oh, and I have a feeling that the vampire teeth chomping on a famous poet's rear end will turn out to be a career changer for you. Hopefully a good one...
Delise, thank you sweet friend.
Andi, I have absolutely no idea how the vampire teeth ended up in my front seat. I only noticed them after he got out of the car. Vampire teeth, straw papers, a pen. Classy.
One of my favorite versions of you, Mom, is from when I was a teenager and you sat on the stairs with the yellow phone, the cord stretched across the kitchen, and I'd hear you laughing and laughing when you were talking to your friends. Oh, and I like the version of you that makes dinner for my family on Sunday afternoons a lot too. :-)
Grandpa, nobody says it better.
Drew, the fact that you still say "rock the kazbah" makes me love you even more.
You are famous! Go Angela, Ang, Angie...every persona of your lovely multi-faceted self.
As Julia pointed out, you have a great name for being a multi-faceted person. Remember when you were a high school teacher and had to answer to Mrs. Hallstrom all day? I stopped responding to "Amy" while I was teaching because I had students named Amy.
All that book stuff sounds very fun. Let us know how the welfare center goes, I have yet to try on that hat or hairnet.
Post a Comment