And here we are again at the actual event just before receiving the aforementioned beef, which was quite tasty, by the way. (And yes, I stole this picture off of the official Whitney blog feed):

I got to sit by Tony's DB editor, Lisa Mangum, a very nice woman who rejected BoE with a form letter a couple of years ago (and I don't blame her for it--truly--since BoE doesn't fit into DB's marketing niches well at all). She has a new book coming out this year with DB's Shadow Mountain imprint and it's supposed to be really good, so I'm looking forward to reading it. I also sat next to Aubrey Mace, also very nice, and she won Best Romance. She seemed genuinely surprised and it was fun to be at a table with all that positive energy.
We also sat by Ally Condie, author of DB's Freshman for President (among other things) and her husband. Ally had already sent me the nicest email about BoE . . . so I was predisposed to like her :-). But she was very cool, and Forrest was grateful to have another man (Mr. Condie--can't remember his name!) at the table to talk to. Mr. Condie's an economics professor--and one of Forrest's waylaid dreams is to be an economics professor [and isn't that a totally endearing waylaid dream? So much better than famous bass fisherman or something]--so we had a lot of good conversation to keep us company while we ate.
Oh, and Andrew, right after I mentioned that my brother was Anthony Sweat, author of the now famous Why? book, Ally said, "But isn't your OTHER brother the Normal Mormon Husband???. I LOVE the Normal Mormon Husband!" Drew, I think you are officially the most famous among us.
But on to the awards. The banter during the presentations was funny, just like last year. The fantasy writers (Scott Savage, James Dashner, et al) were quite entertaining, with Scott dressing up in drag like Stephanie Meyer. I had to wait until the BITTER END before doing anything nerve wracking, though. I read a little snippet--all the while telling myself to read sloooower, keep it cool, girl--then they announced the winners for my categories. And even though I told myself that I was NOT going to be nervous and I was NOT going to care if I won anything--because it is an honor just to be nominated, and I'm not just saying that--my heart rate was approaching baby rabbit speed.
They announced my first category, Best General Fiction (Whitney rules are you can only win in one category), and that went to Annette Haws. I've heard her book Waiting for the Light to Change is quite good. So then they got to Best Novel by a New Author and my baby rabbit heart kicked up to fetal rabbit heart after they said my name. I'd had in mind some things I could possibly say if I did win anything, but that all went out the window the minute I stood up. I rambled some things about how I was grateful to Parables for taking a chance on the book because it was hard to categorize and I'd gotten a lot of rejections (and then told the story about how one publisher gave me a note that said "I like the book, but short stories are the kiss of death"--don't know if I should have said that. Ah well. That's what happens when you extemporize.) I talked a little bit about how grateful I was for the chance to write and see the book published, then I also said something like "Even if I never have another book published again, I'm so grateful to have had the chance to do what I love--write--and have other people read it," which I also probably shouldn't have said in that way, because it makes it sound like I never intend to write another novel. Which isn't true. What I MEANT to say was that there are so many talented writers in the world who never get a chance to see their books published and that I never want to forget how lucky all of us are to have had that opportunity, and to always be grateful for it. Or something like that. Who knows what I meant. Anyway, I had a number of people tell me they liked my speech, but in my day-after instant replaying, I'm worried the take-away is, "I got a ton of rejections for my book and I will never write again!" Ah!! Where's my time travel machine? Forrest keeps telling me to stop obsessing and that it was a good speech . . . oh, and that I'm crazy. Which is probably true.
But it was a lovely evening, quite exciting, and I'm so grateful to all the people who put so much time and effort into creating such a great event. And now I have a pretty award to put on my shelf:
Thanks to all of you, my friends and fam, for all of your support and enthusiasm during this whole journey with Bound on Earth. Gussified evenings and awards are just frosting on the cake of all your love and overall awesomeness. (And yes, that was a terrible metaphor, but you are my friends and my family and this is my blog, so I can indulge in terrible metaphors and I know you'll all still like me. It's such a relief :-)!
15 comments:
Ang! Congratulations!!!
I'm so happy for you. You looked great and I'm sure your speech was wonderful.
Angie, that is great. I'm so happy for you and proud of your accomplishments. What a wonderful evening it must have been for you, and you do look beautiful. (And obsessing over recent events is a genetic trait which I have in spades.)
Congratulations again, Angela. That is really wonderful. I had no idea the award itself was so fancy. You should be very proud of yourself.
Way to go Ang! Thanks for sharing the good news. I'm so proud of everything you are accomplishing with BoE. Cool award, too.
You look beautiful, you have ALWAYS had great hair and congrats on your award. That is quite an amazing accomplishment. I think we all do the "did I just say that?" thing!
So proud of you and happy for your success! May it continue! xo
PS you looked gorgeous dahling and I'm sure you are remembering your speech much differently than you gave it!
Nan - What a gorgeous post! You, gorgeous you, dashing 4, gorgeous award - celebrating the wonderful year you have had - may there be many, many more years of gorgeousness and awards to obsess over after the fact!! Denny's comment made me laugh. As the decades have droned on in my life, I have learned that the obsessive-ing curve lasts, oh, about 24 hours, 48 tops. By now you should be to the basking in the afterglow stage!!
xo
Mom
Angela-
So fun to meet you; I really enjoyed your book a bunch. And your speech was fine-- I think I understood just what you meant. Because even if I wrote a hundred books, I will never forget the experience of the first.
Can't wait to see what you do next!
Aubrey Mace :)
Aw, thanks everybody. (And Jenny, I was lucky to have had a particularly good hair day that day, it's true.) And Mom, you're right about the 48 hour rule. I'm moving on to a new obsession now. :-) Thanks for the kind words everybody!
Congratulations Angie!! Thanks for being an example of someone who makes the impossible happen. We all can't wait for the next novel!
Big congrats, Angie.
Hey, I'm still obsessing over some of the shows I did 30 years ago.
You won AND had a good hair day?! Life is good. (-:
Congratulations! I'm still passing my copy of BoE around to all my friends and it's fun to brag about you.
Ang, you are seriously so cool! I love your honesty and how you give every detail of the story. It's like when I'm reading your story, I'm there. Congratulations! You totally deserved to win! And it must have been fun to get dressed up and go out with Forrest! yah for you!
Congratulations! What an honor! And, you do look as beautiful as ever!
That is so awesome Angie, way to go. Can't wait for your next novel...you have to appease the masses now that you are an award-winning writer.
Post a Comment