Is the consensus "twenty-ten"? "Two-thousand and ten"? Or is it like "soda" and "pop"--open to regional and cultural preference? Sidenote: my kids call pop "soda." Who raised them? Some mid-westerner??? They also pronounce syrup "seer-up," which they got from their father, one of the only native Utahns I know who pronounces it that way. I admit that I take it a little personally that I'm the only one in the house who uses the solid, sturdy, non-pretentious pronunciation. Surrup. The next thing you know we'll be having Auuhnt Amy over. For soda. In twenty-ten. And we'll reminisce about the aughts. (You know. The last decade? We can also reminisce about the oughts, but that's mainly all the stuff we failed to accomplish over the last ten years, which is just depressing.)
But we rang out the aughts with our traditional New Year's Eve bash. Food was eaten. (And Mindy, those mushroom philo thingies! Mmmmm):
Games were played:
Cousins engaging in a friendly match of "Guess Who?"
And, of course, the traditional SingStar battle. Although it really wasn't the same without Amy and Dave and Andrew and Andi. Those guys are COMMITTED to SingStar. And we got some really cool new songs for the PS3, guys! Next time you're out here? Singstar battle deluxe? Okay then.
And almost all the kids (except for Wyatt and Eli and Vivi--but little Lilly stayed up) managed to keep their eyes open until midnight for the pot banging. Hooray!
In other big news, Elise Julia has crossed the threshold into young womanhood and now has a full set of braces. Plus elastics. Poor thing has some soreness going on right now, but she's soldiering on. And she looks cute. (Sorry the pic is kinda blurry, but you get the idea):
Way to be brave and look old, Leese! Love ya. And those curtains you see behind her? Christmas gift from Grandma Sweat. (And Grandpa, although it was Grandma and I who went shopping right after Christmas because Grandpa's not so much into the curtain shopping. Which is completely understandable.) Anyway, they look GREAT. I'll have to take a better picture here soon so you can get the whole effect. Forrest went from, "Why do we need decorative curtains again?" to "Why didn't we put these up three years ago?" They're purdy.
Anyway, Happy 2010 everybody! Here's to a great year full of good stuff. Health. Satisfaction. Fun. Love. Goodness. Straight teeth and pretty family rooms. All that.
p.s. Blogger asked me if I wanted the "new improved" blogger thingamabob, and now my line spacing is weird and squishy and I can't figure out how to fix it. Sigh. Here's to one step backward in 2010!
p.s. Blogger asked me if I wanted the "new improved" blogger thingamabob, and now my line spacing is weird and squishy and I can't figure out how to fix it. Sigh. Here's to one step backward in 2010!
6 comments:
Do you eat ehggs or aiggs? Do you have a pillow or a pellow. My oldest says ehggs and pellow. Where the heck did he get that from? Drives me insane:).
I was so sad to miss the party! With new Singstar songs and everything! Oh well...next time.
I can't believe all my little nieces are getting braces. I guess they aren't so little. Lookin' good Elise.
One thing I do say correct is "across". Mom taught me well to not say "acrosst" like dad does.
My heck, we have a bunch of dialects in this family. Some of it must come from the Hiatt line.
Hate to admit how old I was before I learned how to pronounce "epitome".
So sorry we weren't there to add our heightened competitive nature to the Singstar mix. But next time we're in town, bring it on.
When I read it I say "twenty-ten." Thanks for the great blog post and the pictures. Elise looks so cute in her braces - she's handling it like a trouper - rubber bands and all!
XO
Grandma Sweat
Julia went through the braces ordeal as well. But it's worth it in the end. Elise has such a glorious expanse of forehead. Nice, high hairline. The Yankee around here says "ahnt", so when referring to Tom's side of the family the kids say "Ahnt Licia" but to our side of the family they say "Ant" Barbie. (Actually, just Barbie). We also have other interesting verbage. Pocketbook, handbag, pew, to name a few.
Post a Comment