Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I have a cold in June

which is really a big fat pain. It's a bad one, too. Head cold. Can't sleep. Sniffing all the time. Although Wyatt thinks it's absolutely hilarious when I blow my nose, so there's that.

We had a good Father's Day (other than the fact that I was really sick that night and Forrest was a saint and got up w/ Wyatt at 6:00 a.m. and for that he wins a Father Award). I had to (got to?) speak in church that morning, so I sucked on some lozenges and blew my nose and did it. I think it went pretty well. One thing is for sure--I know I'm lucky in the men in my life: husband and Dad and Grandpas and all of them. And I recovered sufficiently after coming home from church early w/ Wyatt that I was able to make Forrest some chocolate chip cookies and chicken enchiladas, and we had the Sweats (and G&G Hiatt, too) over that night for dessert. Great time! Stayed up late, hung out outside playing bocce ball and watching the kids run around, chatted. Ah, family. Here are some pics:


Wyatt and Eli in their matching blue shirts (courtesy of Grandma)


Wyatt and Eli in the water feature in their matching blue shirts (courtesy of grown-ups not paying attention)


Crazy cousins


Isn't she delicious? Cute baby Vivi.

Forrest and I also went to a "Mystery" party in our neighborhood where you come as a character and everyone tries to solve the mystery. This particular mystery was 80s themed, and Forrest and I were "Lenny" and "Linda," married members of a rock band. Forrest's eyeliner was a last minute idea--totally 80s rocker, dontcha think? It was the hit of the evening. Now that he's lost so much weight he also has a bit of the skinny Steve Tyler look going, too (although he's much better looking than Mr. Tyler, of course, hon). And my hair was pretty easy to poofify, especially considering I didn't have the assistance of my once-ubiquitous perm. I remember thinking in the 80s that if I didn't have a perm it would have been IMPOSSIBLE to do anything with my hair. But no--some aerosol hairspray, a good brush, and a suitable ratting technique and you're good to go!



Aren't the lot of us totally gitchen? (To explain: Forrest had a shirt that said "gitchen" in the 80s . . . but the "g" was really a "b," it was hard to tell . . . so he told sensitive types that it said "gitchen." I think some even believed him. Mom???) Anyway, it was fun. And I was glad that Forrest got all the eyeliner off before going to church the next day and listening to me extol his virtues during sacrament meeting!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Puffify" is tangible evidence that you are indeed, more than qualified to teach college-level creative writing.
Thanks for the the pictures. They are all keepers.
Hard to believe those "crazy cousins" are growing up so fast.
Your Mom probably believed "gitchin'" because her small town upbringing was so sheltered.
G&G Hiatt

Mark Brown said...

Forrest definitely rocked the eyeliner and you look strangely natural and right with the big, ratted hair. You totally would have been an excellent rock chick in the 80s.

Anonymous said...

Wyatt looks as old as Eli in that first picture! Crazy. I can't wait to come visit and let Jack join those two and all the crazy cousins.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...