
Good news! Looks like I got the job at BYU. All the details haven't been worked out yet, but I should be teaching creative writing at the Salt Lake Center Fall semester. They offered me a MWF class at the Provo campus, but I decided that making the commute and dealing w/ child care three times a week would be too hard. But at the SL Center, I'll only teach one night a week--Thursdays from 5-7:40 p.m. I've always wanted to teach creative writing so I'm thrilled.
And the boys wrapped up baseball last night with Ethan's last game. And his team won! Ethan was the very last hitter of the team's last inning and he made a great hit--really hard with a wicked bounce right past shortstop--and he could have had a double, but I think he was so excited about the hit that he didn't want to risk it by trying for second and getting thrown out. But he was able to score two other runners, capping off our best inning as a team with seven runs. (The league has a rule that once a team gets seven runs in an inning, they call the inning). It was a great way for Ethan to end the season, and I think both he and Jonas had a good time. Learned a lot. And Ethan was able to spend a lot of quality time with his dad, who assistant coached.
(I love both of these pics, although I DON'T like how grainy my camera looks with outside shots. I'll have to fiddle with it.)
Now we have two more weeks before school lets out for summer. Trying to come up with things to do. Zoo? SL Library? Parks? In some ways it gets harder as the kids get older. I might sign Ethan up for a cool "zookeeper" camp (the other kids are too young) but I'd like to come up with something for the other two that doesn't break the bank. We keep hearing stories about people our age who've paid off their houses and it's making us feel like the undisciplined consumers we are . . . sigh . . . Discipline!!!
Does not buying myself the new pair of capri pants I lengthily considered at Target count toward some kind of discipline? And getting my hair done at Fantastic Sams? And never spending more than $25 on shoes? It's got to count for something, right? But then we've taken the kids to see Prince Caspian AND Kung Fu Panda--I went to Caspian, Forrest went to Panda. We're such suckers for the first run movies. Forrest said Kung Fu Panda was hilarious, by the way, which is high praise considering we've both become a little jaded about most animated movies. I thought Caspian was good, but I thought the first Narnia movie was better (very moving--I cried). This one seemed to have more battle scenes, which always make me zone a little.
And now that I've rambled from employment to baseball to summer to money to movies, I must sign off. The Irreantum fiction contest beckons (so many manuscripts to read, so little time . . .)
6 comments:
Good - We get to be the first to congratulate Ang(ie) on her job with BYU and Ethan on his baseball success. We both go to Fantastick Sam's for our haircuts. We can't all splurge like some grandmothers I know. (But she does look great, doesn't she?)As for the capri pants, perhaps someone reading this blog will realize that July 9 is coming up.
G&G Hiatt
I am slightly mortified every 6 weeks when I write Ramez the check (and I tip him $25 too - but I know he gives part of that to the apprentices in the "washing" room who give me a 10-minute head and neck massage that is while I'm having it worth every penny I pay for the haircut and color! My life is gauged in 6-week increments. why does spell check say that's spelled wrong? anyway, Ramez and I always chat about what will happen during the next 6 weeks before I see him again - times flies - hair grows - gray roots continue to appear - it's a circle.
Ang, I was grinning so big as I read about your new job with BYU - so big time - we're really proud of you. When we found out I kept saying to daddy man "I"m so happy for Ang..." and finally he said, "I am tooo!" to quiet me.
The picture of Forrest and Ethan is so sweet - the way Ethan is standing there listening to Forrest, the way he's holding himself, is sooo Ethan - don't you think? But it was the picture of Wyatt and Ethan that made me swoon.
Thanks for the great post!
Love,
Mom
Congratulations on the job! One night a week is just perfect.
I love that picture of Ethan & Forrest. I'm glad the season ended on a good note.
And who has their house paid off at your age? Come on....really.
yay! congrats, ang! that's awesome. you'll be a great creative writing teacher. did i tell you that one of my friends had you as her hs teacher? gayla schmidt--d'oh can't remember her maiden name.
(I was typing one-handed, but now Caroline's down.)
Is paying off your house at this age really a great thing? Then you don't get to deduct all that mortgage interest and more of your paycheck goes to the government. How's that for looking on the bright side?
Andrew thought kung fu panda looked funny, too. looking forward to seeing it...in six months...at the dollar theater. :)
Congratulations, Ang, on the new job. Sounds like a great work schedule.
I need to start paying more for haircuts. I got one of the lousiest cuts of my life at Great Clips on Saturday (you know it's bad when your husband has to trim several outlying strands of hair, to match up with the rest, after you get home).
Congratulations on BYU, that is great! I don't know how people pay off their house at our age. Everytime we seem to save up money, something major breaks. We could buy a car with the money we are paying for the girls to get braces.
I don't have my hair done often enough. I usually wait until I start to see gray hair sticking straight up and I feel mid life crisis coming on. I have had gray hair coming in for years. I was too afraid to go get it colored. I always pictured Anne Shirley with green hair in my mind and was afraid of what it would look like. Then I met Randy Garside's wife in PTA. Do you remember Randy Garside? His wife was my president elect in PTA and he is a hair stylist. He started coloring my hair, so it didn't look colored. He is amazing.
Post a Comment